Immediate Actions Upon a Death
- Look for specific funeral / burial instructions which the decedent may have left
- Look for cemetery plot deeds, evidences of purchase of mausoleum niches, Cremation Society membership, prepaid funeral receipts, etc.
- Order at least 15 Death Certificates from the funeral director or other entity (such as the Cremation Society)
- Notify friends and relatives of the death and any funeral or memorial service
- Contact the decedent's financial advisor for summary of assets
- Locate estate plan such as a Will or Trust
- Contact an estate planning attorney to discuss settlement options