How can I make my selection legally binding?

Every state has a legal process to appoint individuals (known as guardians) to handle the affairs of children or adults who are incapable of taking care of themselves.  Parents of a child with special needs can designate a guardian in their Will.  In the case of an adult with special needs, the guardian who is currently serving can request a judge to appoint a successor guardian to take over when needed.   The successor guardian will have the legal right to handle the health care and financial affairs of your loved one.